[gmx-users] Ion-Clustering?

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Jan 8 21:46:15 CET 2011

Clustering of ions has been seen before. It is for instance discussed in
Hess, B. et. al. J. Chem. Phys. 124, 164509 (2006).

Cheers,

Erik

Micholas Smith skrev 2011-01-07 14.56:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been performing some rather long simulations (400ns) of a short
> peptide chain in explicit TIP4P water solvent using opls-aa forcefield
> with ionic concentrations near 1M, and I am finding a lot of
> "clustering" of my ionic species. Has anyone else run into this type
> of problem? I am running NPT with a temperature of 283K with berendsen
> coupling. For electrostatics iI am using PME, which I have been told
> works welll with ions in solution. The clustering of the ions reminds
> me of a crystallization process, this just doesn't feel like it's
> physical.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Micholas D. Smith
> Graduate Student
> Drexel University

Erik Marklund, PhD student
Husargatan 3, Box 596,    75124 Uppsala, Sweden
phone:    +46 18 471 4537        fax: +46 18 511 755
erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se/