[gmx-users] extending the simulation with modified mdp option

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Jan 14 00:41:30 CET 2011

On 14/01/2011 10:27 AM, Ramachandran G wrote:
> thanks for your reply.
> Still i have the same problem.
> My aim is to extend my simulation from 6ns to 7ns.
>
> First i prepared the tpr as
>
> grompp_mpi -f nve.mdp -c nve6-g.tpr -o nve7-g.tpr -n crom.ndx
>
> where 'nve6-g.tpr' is my old 'tpr' . In the 'nve.mdp'  file i have
> changed the option of storing the 'nstxout' from 1 to 100.
> That is the only change i have done.

That should be sufficient. You can also try the wiki's suggestion of
grompp -t old.cpt.

> For simulation i do,
>
> mpirun  -nolocal -np 8 -machinefile machine mdrun_mpi -nice 0 -v -s
> nve7-g.tpr -o nve-g.trr -c nve-g.gro -e nve-g.edr  -cpi nve6-g.cpt -g
> md-g.log -append -cpo nve7-g.cpt  -pd
>
> From the gromacs website,
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Extending_Simulations
> i understood that i need to use the option of 'tpbconv' also to extend
> the simulation. It says that
> 'If your |old.cpt| is for a run that has finished, then use |tpbconv
> -extend |after grompp <http://www.gromacs.org/grompp> and before mdrun
> <http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Gromacs_Utilities/mdrun>.'

I'd disagree with that last quoted statement, and have updated the wiki
accordingly.

You need to tell us what GROMACS version you're using. There has been at
least one bug fixed in this area in my recent memory, so you may do
better with version 4.5.3.

Mark