[gmx-users] potential energy value

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jan 18 12:56:10 CET 2011

ahmet yıldırım wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> I tried the emol values the following:
>
> As emol=2000, Potential energy=-4.7x10^5
> As emol=1000, Potential energy=-4.9x10^5
> As emol=100, Potential energy=-5.2x10^5
>
> Generally, when we did the energy minimization:
>
> how much potential energy value=?  we can say that the energy
> minimization is good.

Potential energy depends on the content of the system, as well as the extent of
minimization.  The purpose of EM is to generate a reasonable starting structure
for MD such that the forces do not cause it to explode when you start your
simulation.  There is no magical cutoff that determines if you're done; you have
to apply some of the underlying theory to your system and judge that yourself.

-Justin

> Thanks in advance
> --
> Ahmet YILDIRIM