[gmx-users] Re: avoiding bad contact in continutation run (Mark Abraham)

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jan 20 14:08:02 CET 2011

Adwait Mevada wrote:

>> On 01/20/11, Adwait Mevada  <adwait at imsc.res.in> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Dear gmx-users,
>>>  I am simulating a dppc + chol system, the force field is martini
>>> with gromacs 3.3.3 the system was initially run for 150 ns, but i
>>> had to later extend the simulation, so using the confout.gro and
>>> with mdp options:
>>> gen_vel = no
>>> unconstrained_start = yes
>>>  I gave a re-run for another 850 ns, now due to some interaction  the
>>> box explodes after 460ns of run.I found that the cause was due  to
>>> some unwanted bad contact.
>>> It is important that the system continue from the previous state,
>>> but the extension is leading to this bad contact.
>>>

>> Actually, you didn't preserve your ensemble if you used the .gro  file
>> for the coordinates. See
>> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Doing_Restarts Actually
>>  providing us with copies of the commands you're using is always a
>> good idea when asking for help.
>
> 150ns.gro was the output of the previous simulation run i.e. confout.gro
> mdp file for the previous simulation is taken as is except for change of
> simulation steps and making unconstrained_start = yes
> grompp -np 8 -f 850ns.mdp -p dppc_chol.top -c 150ns.gro -o
> 512lip_256chol_850ns.tpr

As Mark suspected, you have failed to preserve your ensemble, due to the fact
that you're using a reduced precision (.gro) format for coordinates, and you are
not supplying the .trr and .edr file from the previous run, so you're losing
velocities, temperature and pressure coupling information, etc.

-Justin

> mpiexe.openmpi -np 8 mdrun_mpi.openmpi -np 8 -s 512lip_256chol_850ns.tpr
> -o 512lip_256chol_850ns -e 512lip_256chol_850ns -g 512lip_256chol_850ns &
>
>> Mark
>>

>>> My question is, is there a way to avoid this while retaining the
>>> continuation of the previous simulation?
>>>  Is using lower precision file a solution to this problem? if yes
>>> how do i go about it.
>>> -Adwait

>>> Please search the archive at
>>> http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting!
>>> Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use thewww
>>> interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.
>>> Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists

>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

>> Please search the archive at
>>
>> End of gmx-users Digest, Vol 81, Issue 138
>>

> -Adwait

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar