[gmx-users] Re: Secondary structure loss in implicit solvent simulations

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jan 24 13:24:24 CET 2011

K. Singhal wrote:
> Hi
>
> 1) I am using Amber03 forcefield.
>
> 2) In most cases Yes, but in others, implicit solvent simulations tend
> to crash almost immediately (after reporting segmentation fault).
>
> 3) It generally takes less than a couple of 100 ps for the loss of the
> secondary structure. A few times, I even received .gro files at the end
> with all values as "nan".

Points 2 and 3 indicate that whatever simulations you're trying to perform are
simply unstable.  If they don't crash immediately, they're giving meaningless
output, right?

> Earlier I thought it might be a problem with equilibration, but I have
> tried to run energy-minimization more than once followed by
> position-restrained runs as well (to equilibrate H-atoms). But the end
> result hasn't changed.

Do you get the same effects if you run a "normal" simulation on CPU and not GPU?
  That information would be critical for properly diagnosing what's going on.
If it's not GPU-specific, in all likelihood whatever you're doing is incorrect
somewhere along the way.

-Justin

> Thanks & Regards
> Kush

> *Michael Shirts:*
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1) What force field are you using?
> 2) do you get the same answers with and without GPU acceleration?
> 3) How long does it take for secondary structure to disappear?  100's
> of ps?  10's of ns?
>

> --
> Kushagra Singhal
> Promovendus, Computational Chemistry
> van 't Hoff Institute of Molecular Sciences
> Science Park 904, room C2.119
> 1098 XH Amsterdam, The Netherlands
> +31 205256965
> Universiteit van Amsterdam