[gmx-users] using Berger Lipids in gromacs 4.5.3

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jan 24 15:48:17 CET 2011

NG HUI WEN wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I am using linux on a cluster remotely. It is made up
> of Hewlett Packard ProLiant DL160 compute nodes. I didn't see any "._"
> appearing in my gromos53a6_lipid.ff folder.

Can you send me a tarball of your gromos53a6_lipid.ff folder (off-list) so I can
try to troubleshoot this?  Your input .pdb file would be useful, as well.

-Justin

> [...]
>> ./gromos53a6_lipid.ff/aminoacids.r2b Reading prot_moved.pdb... Read 4914
>> atoms Analyzing pdb file Splitting PDB chains based on TER records or
>> changing chain id. There are 1 chains and 0 blocks of water and 310
>> residues with 4914 atoms
>>
>> chain  #res #atoms 1 'X'   310   4914
>>
>> All occupancies are one Opening force field file
>> ./gromos53a6_lipid.ff/atomtypes.atp Atomtype 1
>>
>> Not sure what happened... Since there is an option "1" available now, do I
>> still need the gromos53a6_lipid.ff in my current working directory?
>>

> The only reason that option "1" appeared is because it is in the working
> directory.
>
> What type of machine are you on?  I've had this hang happen on my Mac before,
>  due to the presence of ._ files when you copy from a different location.
> I've disabled that option on my workstation.  Other than that, I have no clue
> why it would stop there.
>
> -Justin
>
>> Thanks a lot!
>>
>> HW
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: gmx-users-bounces at gromacs.org
>> [mailto:gmx-users-bounces at gromacs.org] On Behalf Of Justin A. Lemkul Sent:
>> Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:06 PM To: Discussion list for GROMACS users
>> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] using Berger Lipids in gromacs 4.5.3
>>

>> NG HUI WEN wrote:
>>> Oops sorry!
>>>
>>> I found the mistake...
>>>
>>> the topology file should read "gromos53a6_lipid.ff/forcefield.itp"
>>> instead of "gromos53a6.ff/forcefield.itp"
>>>
>> You would have gotten this if you had chosen the proper force field with
>> pdb2gmx.  Option 1 (which includes the Berger lipids) is the correct one.
>> Option 14 is the vanilla Gromos96 53a6 force field, which is not what you
>> want.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>>> silly me

>>> *From:* gmx-users-bounces at gromacs.org on behalf of NG HUI WEN *Sent:* Sun
>>> 1/23/2011 1:40 PM *To:* gmx-users at gromacs.org *Subject:* [gmx-users]
>>> using Berger Lipids in gromacs 4.5.3
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> This must be a pretty simple problem but I am stuck nonetheless. I have
>>> been using the lipids from Prof Tieleman's website without any problem on
>>> gromacs 4.0.7.
>>>
>>> Now that I've got 4.5.3 installed, I want to try the g_membed tool but
>>> have encountered these problems.
>>>
>>> Following Justin's tutorial which gives a good tip on how to deal with
>>> the changes introduced in 4.5.3, these are the things I have done + the
>>> output
>>>
>>> 1) gave new names to the modified  itp files from 4.0.7 ffG53a6_lipid.itp
>>> to forcefield.itp ffG53a6nb_lipid.itp to ffnonbonded.itp
>>> ffG53a6bon_lipid.itp to ffbonded.itp
>>>
>>> 2) created a folder gromos53a6_lipid.ff in the working directory to
>>> contain the files in (1)
>>>
>>> 3) copied aminoacids.c.tdb, aminoacids.n.tdb, aminoacids.hdb,
>>> aminoacids.r2b, aminoacids.rtp, aminoacids.vsd, ff_dumitp, spc.itp,
> [...]
>>> 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands. Copyright (c)
>>> 2001-2010, The GROMACS development team at Uppsala University & The Royal
>>> Institute of Technology, Sweden. check out http://www.gromacs.org
>>> <http://www.gromacs.org/> for more information. This program is free
>>> software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the
>>> GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation;
>>> either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>>> :-)  grompp  (-: Option     Filename  Type         Description
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------ -f
>>> g_membed_sample.mdp  Input        grompp input file with MD parameters
>>> -po      mdout.mdp  Output       grompp input file with MD parameters -c
>>> merged.pdb  Input        Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr etc. -r
>>> conf.gro  Input, Opt.  Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr etc. -rb
>>> conf.gro  Input, Opt.  Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr etc. -n

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee