[gmx-users] mdrun_mpi executable not found

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jan 25 00:57:39 CET 2011

Justin Kat wrote:
> Dear gmx users,
>

> I have installed the parallel version 4.0.7 of gromacs on one of the
> nodes of my cluster. Here is the steps I've done through root:
>

> first, the normal installation:
>
> ./configure
>
> make
>

> make install
>
> make links
>

> then issued commands below for the mpi build:
>
> ./configure |--enable-mpi|
>
> make mdrun
>
> make install-mdrun
>
> make links
>

> I dont see any errors and everything seems to install fine.
>

> I then switch to a normal user to do my work and then after issuing the grompp_md command as usual, I entered the command below:
>

> mpirun -np 8 mdrun_mpi -s *.tpr -o *.tpr -c *_after_md -v >& output.mdrun_md
>

> however, output.mdrun_md gives:
>

> mpirun was unable to launch the specified application as it could not find an executable:
>

> Executable: mdrun_mpi
> Node: node3.reyclus.loc
>

> while attempting to start process rank 0.
>

> Was the installation procedure incorrect? Or do I need to go through a
> separate installation for the mdrun_mpi executable? Please guide me on
> what is wrong.

No, the commands you gave should have built mdrun_mpi, as long as they finished
successfully.  Were there errors in the installation?

With "make links" you should have links to all the Gromacs executables in
/usr/local/bin - are they there?  You don't need to make links, instead you can
follow the steps here:

http://www.gromacs.org/Downloads/Installation_Instructions#Getting_access_to_GROMACS_after_installation

-Justin

> Thanks,