[gmx-users] Re: segmentation fault while running eneconv

anna.marabotti at isa.cnr.it anna.marabotti at isa.cnr.it
Tue Jan 25 18:04:03 CET 2011

Dear Justin,
thank you for your answer. I'm currently using Gromacs version 4.0.7
which was compiled in double precision, therefore I strongly suspect
that this is a problem linked to the old bug. It seems to me that I used
eneconv previously on this machine to concatenate .edr files, but I
cannot be sure. However, before writing you I copied the .edr files on
another machine, which still has Gromacs 4.0.7 installed, but compiled
in single precision, and still I found the same error Segmentation fault.

Concerning the name of the files, when I described the commands in my
to avoid writing the long 2GH9openmod4_pH...blabla, but I checked
several times the names I used and I can assure you that I tried to
concatenate the correct file names. Therefore, the problem is not a
typo. Sorry for not explaining it before.

I made a check wit gmxcheck on 2 files: the .edr and .xtc files from the
MD of 5 ns and the .edr and .xtc files from the MD of 50 ns (started
immediately after the 5ns using tpbconv): these are the results:
Checking file 2GH9openmod4_pH10_5ns.xtc
Reading frame       0 time    0.000
# Atoms  40139
Precision 0.001 (nm)
Last frame       1000 time 5000.000
Item        #frames Timestep (ps)
Step          1001    5
Time          1001    5
Lambda           0
Coords        1001    5
Velocities       0
Forces           0
Box           1001    5

Checking energy file 2GH9openmod4_pH10_5ns.edr
Opened 2GH9openmod4_pH10_5ns.edr as double precision energy file
frame:      0 (index      0), t:      0.000
Last energy frame read 50 time 5000.000
Found 51 frames with a timestep of 100 ps.

Checking file 2GH9openmod4_pH10_50ns.xtc
Reading frame       0 time    0.000
# Atoms  40139
Precision 0.001 (nm)
Reading frame    2000 time 10000.000
Item        #frames Timestep (ps)
Step          2981    5
Time          2981    5
Lambda           0
Coords        2981    5
Velocities       0
Forces           0
Box           2981    5

Checking energy file 2GH9openmod4_pH10_50ns.edr
Opened 2GH9openmod4_pH10_50ns.edr as double precision energy file
frame:      0 (index      0), t:      0.000
Last energy frame read 149 time 14900.000
Found 150 frames with a timestep of 100 ps.

It seems to me that all is regular; the only strange thing is that both
start at time 0, despite I used tpbconv+mdrun with cpi to continue the
MD after the first 5 ns.

I return with my previous question: how can I manage this problem,
especially if I have the version 4.0.7? Do I have to ask administrators
to fix the bug? Do I have to restart all my simulations?

Thank you very much and best regards
Anna