[gmx-users] protein movement in lipid bilayer during simulation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jan 27 18:46:10 CET 2011

ram bio wrote:
> Dear Gromacs Users,
>
> I am performing an all-atom simulation of protein ligand complex in
> lipid bilayer , but after around 100ns, I see that the protein started
> moving in one dimension in the lipid bilayer that is it is not in the
> centre, I want the position of the protein fixed through out the
> simulation, so pl suggest regarding this..

This is a normal consequence of diffusion in a periodic system.  There is no
such thing as a "center."  For visualization purposes, just post-process your
trajectory with trjconv.

> and is it ok if I increase the position restraints for the protein by
> changing the values of forces on x y and z dimensions in the posre.itp
> file (below) of the protein, and if so how much can i increase the
> force, so that i doesnot effect the simulation.

If you're trying to get around the diffusion issue, don't.  If this is part of
equilibration, all you're doing is setting up a higher energy barrier for the
movement of these atoms.  The difference between 1000 and 2000 should be
relatively minimal, as far as the end result is concerned.

-Justin

> [ position_restraints ]
> ; atom  type      fx      fy      fz
>      1     1  2000  2000  2000