[gmx-users] g_sas calculation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Jul 3 14:04:50 CEST 2011

ahmet yıldırım wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> I want to compute SASA between protein and ligand.
> *1.)*
> protein and ligand are merged by make_ndx
> g_sas -f run.xtc -s run.tpr -o protein_ligand.xvg -n protein_ligand.ndx
> Select a group for calculation of surface and a group for output
> select a group: 1 (protein+ligand)
> select a group: 2 (ligand)
> is this correct?
>
> *2.)*
> or
> g_sas -f run.xtc -s run.tpr -o protein_protein.xvg
> Select a group for calculation of surface and a group for output
> select a group: 1 (protein)
> select a group: 2 (protein)
> I have protein SASA.
>
> g_sas -f run.xtc -s run.tpr -o ligand_ligand.xvg
> Select a group for calculation of surface and a group for output
> select a group: 1 (ligand)
> select a group: 2 (ligand)
> I have ligand SASA.
>
> protein and ligand are merged by make_ndx
> g_sas -f run.xtc -s run.tpr -o protein_ligand.xvg -n protein_ligand.ndx
> Select a group for calculation of surface and a group for output
> select a group: 1 (protein_ligand)
> select a group: 2 (protein_ligand)
> I have protein_ligand SASA.
>
> (SASA between protein and ligand)=(protein)+(ligand)-(protein_ligand)
>
> I am confused. which of choices is correct?

Neither.  Your equation is right, but your method of calculating each of the
quantities is not.  The group for the surface calculation should always be all
non-solvent atoms (per the instructions in g_sas -h).  The output group can then
be whatever you like, a subset of that surface.  So you will need three
calculations (sort of like option #2), but in each case the calculation group
should always be the protein-ligand merged group.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee