[gmx-users] REMD with 'bad contacts' error

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 6 01:22:35 CEST 2011

Sheeba Jem wrote:

> Dear Gromacs users,
>
>  I am having trouble running REMD for a system containing one peptide
> molecule on the surface of a lipid membrane, the system contains the
> following:
>
> Protein   1
> POPC    128
> Water     4847
> Na+         9
> Cl-          15
>
> The total number of atoms in the system is 21483. I have 50 replicas
> with temperatures distributed from 250 to 400 K. After setting up the
> system I minimized and  equilibrated the system for 14 ns at three
> temperatures: 250 K, 300K and 350 K. I take the output file from the 250
> K run and use that as the starting structure for the temperatures
> between 250 to 300 K; similarly the output file from 300 K as the
> starting structure for replicas between 300 to 350 K and for the
> replicas between 350 to 400 K I use the output from the 350 K run. I
> further equilibrate these structures at the replica temperature for 10
> ns. The output from these 10 ns runs are then used as starting
> structures for the replica exchange simulation. However when the replica
> exchange simulation begins to run, it crashes after 2 ps with a bad
> contact error:

Your equilibration protocol doesn't make much sense.  First, you're not
equilibrating properly under all conditions, and then (in your .mdp file) you're
re-generating velocities so you just end up destroying any equilibration you had
previously achieved.  Membranes are particularly sensitive to proper
equilibration, so I suspect this is your root problem.  Equilibrate each system
at the desired temperature, maintaining the ensemble by passing the appropriate
.cpt file to grompp (with "gen_vel = no" so as not to override the existing
velocities).

> t = 2.008 ps: Water molecule starting at atom 21421 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
> Jul  4 18:07:21 2011 22666 4 7.04 handleTSRegisterTerm(): TS reports
> task <7> pid <15856> on host<cmp-13-9> killed or core dumped
>

> I use the Gromacs version 4.0.5 for all the simulations. Since the
> starting structure for each replica has been well equilibrated I am not
> sure how there could be hard contacts in the system. I looked at the

The configurations may be somewhat equilibrated, but you're killing that by
generating velocities.

> input structures and the trajectories from the equilibration runs and I
> could not find anything strange with the system leading to hard
> contacts. Also the membrane remains intact for the high temperature
> replicas. Since I could not find anything to change in the system, I
> tried running REMD reducing the time step from 2 fs to 1 fs which also
> gave a similar error:

If you get the same problem, it's likely still the thermostatting/velocity
generation that's the problem.

> t = 2.020 ps: Water molecule starting at atom 18919 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
>
> I then tried with a timestep of 0.1 fs and got the same bad contacts error:
>
> t = 0.101 ps: Water molecule starting at atom 20251 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
> Jul  4 18:34:17 2011 25639 4 7.04 handleTSRegisterTerm(): TS reports
> task <5> pid <17349> on host<cmp-4-5> killed or core dumped
>

> I am not sure if reducing the timestep further would help therefore I
> looked at the temperature and pressure coupling. For all the above
> simulations I had used nose-hoover thermostat and a  parrinello-rahman
> barostat with semi-isotropic pressure coupling. I had previously
> 'successfully' ran a REMD simulation of the peptide in water with
> isotropic coupling, the difference in the two .mdp files were the type
> of pressure coupling and changes in the bond contraint parameters (I
> have attached both the mdp files). Since semi-isotropic pressure
> coupling reproduces membrane properties well, I had used it for the
> peptide-lipid system. To see if changing the coupling type made a
> difference, with the 0.1 fs time step, I changed the coupling type to
> isotropic and this time the job crashed with the lincs warning:

Membranes are more sensitive, especially to temperature and pressure coupling
and the state of equilibration.  Proteins in water are far more robust and take
a lot of beating before they explode.  Therefore, the comparison is not a
particularly good one.  Apples and oranges.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee