[gmx-users] placing dihedral constraints

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 6 19:32:40 CEST 2011

Mr Bernard Ramos wrote:

> Hi Mark and everyone!
>
> This has been a previous topic though and thanks Mark for the reply.
> What I need to do is to calculate the potential energy (energy
> minimzation) of a molecule at every fixed pairs of dihedrals (phi, psi).
> I did the suggestions on
> _http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Dihedral_Restraints_. In
> fact what follows is the entry I placed in my topol.top
>
> [ dihedral_restraints ]
> ; ai aj ak al type label phi dphi kfac power
> 5   1   40   38   1   1   30   0   1   2
> 12 40 38   34   1   1  10    0  1    2
>
> I also added the following in my mdp file
> dihre = yes
> dihre_fc = 10000
>
> I removed disre_tau and nstdihreout as they are no longer needed in the
> recent gromacs versions. Unfortunately, after checking the dihedral
> angles, they appear to be far from the set value of (phi=30, psi=10). I
> understand that we are restraining the angles and not
> constraining/fixing them. Is there a way we can have the resulting phi
> and psi as close to the required values? I get values 15 degrees away

Increase kfac or dihre_fc.  Probably the initial geometry doesn't like the
restraint being placed there so you may have to increase the energy penalty for
deviating from the restrained value.

> from the original settings. Your help is greatly appreciated.
> One more question. This restraining will not affect the final potential
> energy right?

Certainly it will.  You'd be preventing (or at the very least, disfavoring) EM
from adjusting surrounding coordinates.  Such a procedure may have a positive or
negative outcome on the final energy.

-Justin

> Bernard

Justin A. Lemkul