[gmx-users] Using new atom types

Peter C. Lai pcl at uab.edu
Thu Jul 7 21:56:31 CEST 2011

just have charmm27.ff/forcefield.itp #include your new files. If you want pdb2gmx to work, you will need to create the appropriate .rtp and/or .hdb files too

Fabian Casteblanco <fabian.casteblanco at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

I'm building a drug molecule using CHARMM parameters. The thing is
that there is this new CGenFF (an extension of CHARMM, but very
similar to the old CHARMM atom types
http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/~kenno/cgenff/) that uses better
parameters for drug-like molecules. I would like to use these new
parameters for this drug molecule (pretty big molecule). I took all
the parameter values from CGenFF and I converted them to values used
by Gromacs and I formatted it just like the original ffcharm27.itp
files found in Gromacs. The only thing is that when it comes to
Lennard Jones,1-4 parameters, CHARMM gives you the actual individual
value by atom whereas Gromacs has already all the pair listed values
stored. Is there any way that I can place these 1-4 parameters in the
drug.itp file itself and have Gromacs calculate the combinations just
as it does for the regular LJ values?

I have:
-CgenFFbon.itp (bonded, angle, dihedral parameters,etc)
-CgenFFnb.itp (nonbonded LJ values)
-CgenFF.atp (atom type file)

What exactly do I need to include on my drug.itp (or drug.top) file
inorder so it can read these parameters from the files above?

Thanks for anyones help! Greatly appreciated!!

;SAMPLE topology:
;
;
; Include forcefield parameters