[gmx-users] Re: The N and C termini of peptides

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jul 8 21:19:48 CEST 2011

errabah fatima ezzahra wrote:
>  two trimers , the first that has three peptides , first pepetide goes
> from N to C terminus and the other are antiparallel with it they go from
> C to N  so if you look at the end of peptides on one side of the first
> trimer you see LEU GLU GLU
>
> then the other trimer that is one goes from   N-terminus to C-terminus
> and next two that goes from  C-terminus to N-terminus so you see at the
> end LEU GLU LEU.

Sidedness is not a helpful description, since it doesn't exist in protein
sequencing.  All peptide sequences should be read from N- to C-terminus.  There
is no C-to-N sequencing, so it's hard to visualize what you're talking about.

> so i was thinking that if they are LEU GLU LEU then GLU LEU GLU would be
> better for self assembly than leu glu glu leu glu leu. am i wrong ??and
> if not is there any way to orient them. will capping solve the problem
> with the order of the side chains??

Capping is irrelevant probably in this discussion, since, as I said before,
acetylation of N- and/or C-termini have nothing to do with sidechains.  Please
see my previous message for an explanation of when capping might be necessary.

> please thanks for your help and sorry if i bugged you alot with this topic

The present descriptions make it difficult if not impossible to help you.
Please mind conventions when discussion peptide sequences and not some invented
representation based on what you see (since no one else can see what you're
looking at).  If you want to discuss sequences and orientations, please use
something like: Nt-LQQ-Ct for a peptide of N-terminus-Leu-Glu-Glu-C-terminus.
That way, you can diagram assemblies with different orientations, e.g.:

Nt-LQQ-Ct
Ct-QQL-Nt

etc.  As it stands, I can't make sense of what you're describing.

-Justin