[gmx-users] R: Re: g_mindist on rhombic dodecahedron system

Anna Marabotti anna.marabotti at isa.cnr.it
Mon Jul 11 15:58:57 CEST 2011

Dear Justin, dear all,
following your suggestion I used the command:
trjconv -f prot_boxdodfull.xtc -s prot_boxdodfull.tpr -pbc mol -ur compact
-o prot_boxdodfull_mol.xtc
to convert my simulations, and as you anticipated all went OK: now my
trajectories are without spikes, the protein is entirely in the rhombic
dodecahedric box and the minimum distance is never lower than 2.5 nm, so I
think that the simulations went properly.

Now I have another doubt. In order to analyze my data (e.g. with g_rmsf,
g_rms etc), which is the more correct reference file? Usually I use as
reference file the .tpr input file of the full MD trajectory. I used this
file also this time with the command:
g_rms -f prot_boxdodfull_mol.xtc -s prot_boxdodfull.tpr -o
prot_boxdodfull_rms.xvg

Apparently, there are no main irregular behaviours (the RMS value oscillates
between 4.2 and 4.25 nm, so I think I can assume it is quite stable). The
absolute value of RMS is however very high with respect to the ones I used
to see (that are generally lower than 1 nm). I assume that the important
thing in this kind of analysis is the variation of the value, not the value
itself; however, I would like to know if I use the correct reference file or
if I have to create another reference file in which I "trjconv'ed" (how?)
also the reference structure. Could you please give me some suggestion about
my question?

Many thanks and best regards
Anna