[gmx-users] Re: [gmx-developers] GPU

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Tue Jul 12 18:30:42 CEST 2011

Hi,

As this is not a development-related question I'm moving the
discussion to the user's list. Future replies should be sent *only* to
gmx-users at gromacs.org.

As Axel pointed out, the list of CUDA-compatible devices is much
broader than the list of cards we label compatible. The compatibility
check is just a safety measure as GPUs not considered compatible will
be slower than most recent CPUs (see performance comparison on the
website http://goo.gl/eo0jS) especially in explicit water simulations.

However, you can always try by using the "force-device=yes" option and
see what performance you get, but you shouldn't expect much from a
mobile GPU.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd