[gmx-users] Re: Eenergy Minimization

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Jul 19 16:03:48 CEST 2011

Please keep gmx-users correspondence on the mailing list, so that others can learn from and contribute to the discussion and/or archives.

On 19/07/11, "Marzinek, Jan"  <j.marzinek10 at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> <!--
> /* Font Definitions */
> @font-face
> 	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
> 	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
> @font-face
> 	{font-family:Calibri;
> 	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
> /* Style Definitions */
> p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
> 	{margin:0cm;
> 	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
> 	font-size:12.0pt;
> 	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
> a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
> 	{mso-style-priority:99;
> 	color:blue;
> 	text-decoration:underline;}
> a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
> 	{mso-style-priority:99;
> 	color:purple;
> 	text-decoration:underline;}
> span.EmailStyle17
> 	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
> 	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
> 	color:windowtext;}
> .MsoChpDefault
> 	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
> @page WordSection1
> 	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
> 	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
> div.WordSection1
> 	{page:WordSection1;}
> -->
>

> On 19/07/11, "Marzinek, Jan" <j.marzinek10 at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>

> Dear Gromacs Users,
>

> As I know for the Energy Minimization algorithms both Steepest Descent and Conjugate Gradient will not provide a global minimum of the potential energy but only a local minium.
>

> Does anyone know how Gromacs choose the starting point on the potential energy hypersurface for the beginning of Energy Minimization?
>

> You choose it with the starting configuration you provide to grompp.
>

> Mark

> Hi,
>

> Thank you for your response. I understand that you start from the coordinates which you specify in your gro file -> Input. But where Gromacs start on the potential energy
>  surface as it has many local minima, maxima, saddle points.

GROMACS starts with the configuration you provide.

> Will it always go to the closest local minimum which is not global minimum?

Various optimization algorithms can be chosen in the .mdp file. Those algorithms are deterministic, but their properties vary. They will find a nearby local minimum eventually, but not necessarily the same one, or in a given number of steps. See manual or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_minimization