[gmx-users] large error bars in PMF

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jul 21 20:14:44 CEST 2011

Rebeca García Fandiño wrote:
> Hi,
> thanks a lot for your quick answer.
> What I am trying to pull are two small peptides one from another (r_1
> and r_2).
> I did not understand very well your last suggestion: "...if you want
> reasonable error bars you will not lots of well-converged data".

Oops, that should have read "you will *need* lots of well-converged data."

> Do you mean I will need also more windows besides extending the simulations?

I doubt you need more windows.  Likely you just need more time in each.

> I think the problem could be also that the peptides I am using rotate in
> the box and they do not remain flat one respect to the other. They
> gyrate freely and some parts of their structure interact along the
> pulling...

Interactions are part of the dissociation process and are not problematic per
se.  But if you're trying to obtain only a one-dimensional PMF then your
rotation could be a problem.  Is there some reason you need a one-dimensional
PMF and not a three-dimensional PMF?  What are you trying to achieve?

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar