[gmx-users] large error bars in PMF

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jul 21 21:36:35 CEST 2011

Rebeca García Fandiño wrote:
> OK,
> I will try a dodecahedral box and also to extend my actual simulations.
> Could you give me some advice about starting to learn about 3D PMF? I
> have not seen this in the manual, and I have never used it before. I
> have only found your tutorial about how to calculate PMF in Gromacs 4...

In practice, there's basically nothing different between 3D and 1D.  You specify
the dimensions to which the biasing potential is applied with pull_dim or
pull_vec (depending on the pull_geometry used).  Right now you're calculating
the PMF along the z-dimension only ("pull_dim = N N Y"), which may be
appropriate for one-dimensional processes or those in which the reference group
does not rotate much in the timeframe of the sampling.  Setting "pull_dim = Y Y
Y" will apply the restraint in all dimensions.

-Justin