[gmx-users] genconf and bonded interactions

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 27 15:38:26 CEST 2011

Please make sure to keep the discussion on the list.

Fabio Affinito wrote:
> Justin,
> first of all, I thank you very much for your help: it's very precious. I
> regret I didn't notice before the molecule was broken.

I suggested to you yesterday that your initial configuration was broken.  You
told me it wasn't.

> Unfortunately the problem is not solved with your recipe. I used trjconv
> on the starting configuration and then I used the genconf.
> The mdrun fails with the same error. In this case, the atoms involved in
> the error are not the same of the previous one. But once again the bond
> length is completely odd.
> During the grompp I had some warning, but I can't understand where they
> are coming from:

Certain bonded interactions can't take place between massless particles.  As the
warning states, if pdb2gmx produced the topology, don't worry about it.

>> Cleaning up constraints and constant bonded interactions with virtual
>> sites
>> Removed   1305           Angles with virtual sites,  6251 left
>> Removed    480     Proper Dih.s with virtual sites,   363 left
>> Converted 2230      Constraints with virtual sites to connections,
>> 2596 left
>> Warning: removed 582 Constraints with vsite with Virtual site 3out
>> construction
>>          This vsite construction does not guarantee constant bond-length
>>          If the constructions were generated by pdb2gmx ignore this
>> warning
>> Cleaning up constraints and constant bonded interactions with virtual
>> sites
>> Removed   1305           Angles with virtual sites,  6251 left
>> Removed    480     Proper Dih.s with virtual sites,   363 left
>> Converted 2230      Constraints with virtual sites to connections,
>> 2596 left
>> Warning: removed 582 Constraints with vsite with Virtual site 3out
>> construction
>>          This vsite construction does not guarantee constant bond-length
>>          If the constructions were generated by pdb2gmx ignore this
>> warning
>> Cleaning up constraints and constant bonded interactions with virtual
>> sites
>> Removed   1305           Angles with virtual sites,  6251 left
>> Removed    480     Proper Dih.s with virtual sites,   363 left
>> Converted 2230      Constraints with virtual sites to connections,
>> 2596 left
>> Warning: removed 582 Constraints with vsite with Virtual site 3out
>> construction
>>          This vsite construction does not guarantee constant bond-length
>>          If the constructions were generated by pdb2gmx ignore this
>> warning
>> Cleaning up constraints and constant bonded interactions with virtual
>> sites
>> Removed   1305           Angles with virtual sites,  6251 left
>> Removed    480     Proper Dih.s with virtual sites,   363 left
>> Converted 2230      Constraints with virtual sites to connections,
>> 2596 left
>> Warning: removed 582 Constraints with vsite with Virtual site 3out
>> construction
>>          This vsite construction does not guarantee constant bond-length
>>          If the constructions were generated by pdb2gmx ignore this
>> warning
>
> According to your experience, this can be pertinent with my problems?

Not likely.  The virtual sites are within the protein, not the lipids, right?

Without the mdrun output, there's little else I can tell you.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar