[gmx-users] Re: local pressure v4.5 issues

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jul 28 18:04:48 CEST 2011

Amit Choubey wrote:
> I just checked that the mdrun of v4.0.2_local_pressure can read the tpr
> generated from grompp of v4.0.7. I did get some local pressure numbers.
> Also i checked the potential energy between 4.0.2 and 4.0.7 there is a
> difference of about 0.0008% .
>
> I am just wondering how this problem got fixed ie how could 4.0.2 did
> not have trouble reading the tpr of 4.0.7 whereas 4.0.2 could not make
> the tpr file (it complains about Invalid dihedral type 9).

New features get implemented.  In this case, type 9 dihedrals were added after
version 4.0.2, so grompp didn't know how to handle them.  Minor versions (i.e.
4.0.x) generally have compatible file types.  So grompp version 4.0.7 compiled a
.tpr file that mdrun 4.0.2 could handle since the file format was the same, but
the information therein was different.  Note that this applies only to *minor*
version differences, e.g. 4.5 .tpr files cannot be read by 4.0.x mdrun.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar