[gmx-users] need help with topology file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jul 28 21:39:36 CEST 2011

jampani srinivas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use two types of force fields for my system which has
> protein and fullerene. i want to use OPLS for protein and ffG53a6 for
> fullerene(as i don't have opls readily available for this). When i use
> two itp files in #include section grompp does not allow me to do that
> with the following error.
> Program grompp, VERSION 4.0.5
> Source code file: topio.c, line: 430
>
> Fatal error:
> Syntax error - File ffG53a6.itp, line 6
> Last line read:
> '  1 1 no 1.0 1.0'
> Found a second defaults directive.

> Chapter 5 in manual has information about using topology files but i am
> not clear about using #define. Can anybody help me how to use opls for
> protein and gromos for fullerene in the same system?

That will be a meaningless combination.  The force fields use completely
different combination rules (and hence why you're getting the fatal error about
trying to use two different [defaults] sections) and are based on different
parameterization strategies.  You need a self-consistent model and any attempt
to combine force fields in this way will not succeed.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee