[gmx-users] limit in reducing time step for integration

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jul 28 21:38:15 CEST 2011

María Paula Longinotti wrote:
> The oscilations in pressure are different, they are much bigger for an
> integration time of  0.0001than for integration times of  0.001 or 0.0005.

I wouldn't base any conclusion on pressure or the fluctuations therein.  These
quantities are extremely sensitive to any small change.  As long as the averages
converge to (statistically) the same value, then there is no problem.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Pressure

The timestep is involved in determining the coupling strength, so if you fix
tau_p and adjust dt, you will see differences.  See manual section 3.4.9.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar