[gmx-users] umbrella sampling

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Sun Jul 31 15:57:30 CEST 2011

I've never actually reweighted with F-values. These are the values by
which the component PMFs are shifted during WHAM after debiasing the
umbrella potentials.

Look at equations 6 and 7 in "The multicanonical weighted histogram
analysis method for the free-energy landscape along structural
transition paths" Satoshi Ono, Nobuyuki Nakajima, Junichi Higo and
Haruki Nakamura

My best guess is that you do it like this:

1. Run 1-D wham and obtain the F-values.

2. create an empty 3D histogram structure for z, rgyrA, and rgyrB.

3. Go through the data from each window and add a value to the
appropriate location for [z,rgyrA,rgyrB]. This value is not the
integer count 1. This value that you add to each histogram bin is a
real number:

   1 * exp(-(1/RT)*-F) * exp(-(1/RT)*0.5K*(z-z0)^2

4. Now convert your histogram of probabilities to free energies dG=-RTln(P)

** To test this, project your 3-D free energy profile onto each
dimension successively and compare it to (z) the profile from 1-D
wham, and (rgyrA or rgyrB) the profile from 2-D wham with zero force
constants as I outlined in my previous post.

PLEASE NOTE: this email outlines an *idea* of how to accomplish what
you want. You must check the match for yourself.

Chris.

Qian Wang qwang at mail.uh.edu
Sat Jul 30 18:05:33 CEST 2011

Thanks very much.
I am sorry I did not describe my question very clear. In my system, I
am going to obtain three things. (1) the free energy versus distance,
which I can obtain from g_wham. (2) the free energy versus, eg, the
radius of gyration of the object A. (3) the 2-D free energy as a
function of the radius of gyration of A and the radius of gyration of
B. I do not know how to get (2) and (3).
Your first method can help me obtain (2), but I can not obtain (3)
because then it needs a 3-D WHAM code, am I correct? For your second
method, I do not quite understand how to re-weighting using the
F-values from 1D-WHAM. Could you please explain it? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Qian