[gmx-users] flexibility

Thomas Evangelidis tevang3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 16:36:04 CEST 2011

Hi Tsjerk,

thanks for nice the reference. If I have understood correctly, the authors
have applied their technique to characterize the residues and the respective
motions that confer thermal stability to a thermophilic enzyme compared to a
mesophilic homologue. In my case I want to study the effects of a point
mutation on the dynamics of an enzyme, in order to explain the increased
catalytic activity that is observed* in vitro* and* in vivo*. The difference
here is that I know exactly which part of the protein is implicated for the
gain of function (the mutation site). Do you reckon I could gain more from
doing the afore-mentioned statistical analysis instead of just comparing the
RMSF between the wt and the mutant?

thanks in advance,
Thomas

On 1 June 2011 15:43, Tsjerk Wassenaar <tsjerkw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The usual (statistical) way to compare fluctuations (variances) is by
> taking the ratio (i.e. of the MSFs, not the RMSFs). Maragliano e.a.
> (BiophysJ 2004) wrote on such comparison of fluctuations, using a
> variance ratio test.
> In your case, you'd have to combine it with a structure alignment to
> find which numbers should be compared with which.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tsjerk
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
> >

> > shiva birgani wrote:
> >>
> >>    Message: 1
> >>    Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 06:56:16 -0400
> >>    From: "Justin A. Lemkul" <jalemkul at vt.edu <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>>
> >>    Subject: Re: [gmx-users] flexiblity
> >>    To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org
> >>    <mailto:gmx-users at gromacs.org>>
> >>

> >>    shiva birgani wrote:
> >>     > Dear all
> >>     > I have simulated two different proteins (A and B). I need to
> compare
> >>     > their flexibility. RMSF help to examine their flexibilty
> >>    individually,
> >>     > but I want to campare them with each other.
> >>     > Do anybody know a solution to this? Would you please help me in
> >>    this regard?
> >>     >

> >>    Is it not just a matter of comparing the RMSF between the two
> proteins?
> >>
> >>    -Justin
> >>
> >>    --
> >>    ========================================
> >>
> >> Dear Justin
> >>
> >> Yes I want to compare them, but I am not sure that RMSF is appropriate
> >> test to comparison, because two proteins are completely different in
> their
> >> amino acid contents and numbers.
> >>

> > RMSF is the correct metric for measuring the flexibility of your
> proteins.
> >  How you then interpret the data in light of what's known about your
> system
> > and the goals of your study is up to you.  All part of good experimental
> > design.
> >
> > -Justin
> >
> > --
> >
> > Justin A. Lemkul
> > Ph.D. Candidate
> > ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
> > MILES-IGERT Trainee
> > Department of Biochemistry
> > Virginia Tech
> > Blacksburg, VA
> > jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080
> > http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

> > Please search the archive at
> > http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting!
> > Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
> interface
> > or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.
> > Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists
> >

> --
> Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.

> [...]

Thomas Evangelidis

PhD student

Biomedical Research Foundation, Academy of Athens

4 Soranou Ephessiou , 115 27 Athens, Greece

email: tevang at bioacademy.gr

          tevang3 at gmail.com

website: https://sites.google.com/site/thomasevangelidishomepage/