[gmx-users] Protein ligand segmentation fault

גדעון לפידות glapidoth at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 16:55:34 CEST 2011

Hi all,
I have been trying to run a protein ligand simulation in water using Gromacs
version 4.0.7 and GROMOS 53a6 ff. My protein is about 250 aa and my ligand
is pip3 (Phosphatidylinositol (3,4,5)-trisphosphate) which I have
constructed using PRODRG (using EM and full charges option). I have tried
running the simulation several times under different conditions and every
time the simulation crashed around the first few ps of MD giving a
segmentation fault. I have tried coupling the temp and pressure of the
ligand to the solvent and other times to the protein, changing the partial
charges of the ligand using common GROMOS FF parametes.
When running the same protein with a similar ligand (pip2) who's topology I
have downloaded from the PDB website everything runs smoothly..
 when running the protein and ligand in separate simulations they both run
fine. I have also tried taking frames from the ligand and protein separate
simulations and then placing them in the same box and still the simulation
crashes. I have gone through Justin's tutorial on protein ligand simulations
but to no avail.
I'll be glad to provide further details to any one who think know what might
be wrong..
Thanks,
Gideon