[gmx-users] Protein ligand segmentation fault

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 2 16:59:49 CEST 2011

גדעון לפידות wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been trying to run a protein ligand simulation in water using
> Gromacs version 4.0.7 and GROMOS 53a6 ff. My protein is about 250 aa and
> my ligand is pip3 (Phosphatidylinositol (3,4,5)-trisphosphate) which I
> have constructed using PRODRG (using EM and full charges option). I have
> tried running the simulation several times under different conditions
> and every time the simulation crashed around the first few ps of MD
> giving a segmentation fault. I have tried coupling the temp and pressure
> of the ligand to the solvent and other times to the protein, changing
> the partial charges of the ligand using common GROMOS FF parametes.
> When running the same protein with a similar ligand (pip2) who's
> topology I have downloaded from the PDB website everything runs smoothly..
>  when running the protein and ligand in separate simulations they both
> run fine. I have also tried taking frames from the ligand and protein
> separate simulations and then placing them in the same box and still the
> simulation crashes. I have gone through Justin's tutorial on protein
> ligand simulations but to no avail.
> I'll be glad to provide further details to any one who think know what
> might be wrong..

Please post an .mdp file for a run that is crashing.  Other general advice:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up#Diagnosing_an_Unstable_System

Since the simulation runs for a short time, you should be able to watch the
trajectory and see where it starts to fall apart.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee