[gmx-users] Switching from v4.0.7 to v 4.5.3 - being able to get the correct terms from a edr file when continuing a simulation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 2 19:36:57 CEST 2011

Anna Duncan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm doing a coarse-grained simulation, using the MARTINI forcefield, of
> a protein in a lipid bilayer.  I carried out the equilibration stages
> using Gromacs 4.0.7.  Equilibration was done in several stages but the
> last stage was with a Nosé-Hoover thermostat for temperature coupling
> and Parrinello-Rahman thermostat for pressure coupling.  The next stage
> I carried out was a simulation of system with nothing except the
> backbone of the protein restrained, to relax the sidechains.  For this
> stage I used a newer, faster server which has Gromacs 4.5.3 installed on
> it.  The mdp file is below.
> I used the command:
> g_grompp -f ../md_T296.mdp -p ../prot_memb_system2.top -c npt_bPR.gro -e
> npt_bPR.edr -t npt_bPR.trr -n prot_bilayer.ndx -o md_schain
>
> I got the error message:
> Program g_grompp, VERSION 4.5.3
> Source code file:
> /builddir/build/BUILD/gromacs-4.5.3/src/gmxlib/enxio.c, line: 1056
>
> Fatal error:
> Could not find energy term named 'Xi-0-Protein'
>

> I assumed that this was something to do with my switching between
> versions, maybe that the .edr file that's written by version 4.0.7
> doesn't have the terms that are required by version 4.5.3, so I removed
> the -e option from the command line and ran the simulation using the
> commands:
> g_grompp -f ../md_T296.mdp -p ../prot_memb_system2.top -c npt_bPR.gro -t
> npt_bPR.trr -n prot_bilayer.ndx -o md_schain
> g_mdrun -v -nt 1 -deffnm md_schain
>
> For the next stage, I want to simulate the whole system, for which I use
> the mdp file below except with no -DPOSREBB defined (line 10) and with
> nsteps = 10000000, and version 4.5.3 again.
> When I use the command:
> g_grompp -f ../md_T296.mdp -p ../prot_memb_system2.top -c md_schain.gro
> -e md_schain.edr -t md_schain.trr -n prot_bilayer.ndx -o md1_t296
>
> I again get the error message:
> Program g_grompp, VERSION 4.5.3
> Source code file:
> /builddir/build/BUILD/gromacs-4.5.3/src/gmxlib/enxio.c, line: 1056
>
> Fatal error:
> Could not find energy term named 'Xi-0-Protein'

What does g_energy tell you is in the .edr file?  If g_energy says Xi-0-Protein
is present, but grompp can't find it, then perhaps there's a grompp-specific
problem reading the energy file.  It would also be interesting to know if the
problem persists in 4.5.4, as I know there has been some debugging of .edr
files, but I can't find anything specific in the release history that might be
pertinent here.

> Can you help me with exactly what's going wrong?  I'm not sure if I
> should be carrying out the simulation without being able to pass on the
> information from the .edr file of the sidechain-relaxing simulation?  If
> not, what can I do to pass on the information necessary from the .edr file?

Forget about passing .trr and .edr files to grompp.  It's more accurate to
simply pass a checkpoint file to grompp -t.  Checkpoints contain all the
necessary state information for the system.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar