[gmx-users] oplsaa vs. charmm

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 8 21:37:06 CEST 2011

Da-Wei Li wrote:
> I really don't think you can get adequate sampling for IDPs that have 40
> residues, using full atomic MD.

I disagree.  Perhaps brute force MD would not accomplish the task (unless you
have considerable resources and don't want your answers very quickly, but even
then...), but there are certainly a number of techniques, including implicit
solvent, REMD, generalized Hamiltonian replica exchange, and fancy umbrella
sampling and/or free energy settings that can vastly improve sampling for such
systems.

-Justin

> [...]
>>     length between 40 and 100 aa and would like to know what would be
>>     the best choice of force field to use. Any experience or knowledge
>>     on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>     thanks in advance,
>>     Thomas
>>

>>     On 27 May 2011 19:01, David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
>>     <mailto:spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>> wrote:
>>
>>         On 2011-05-27 17.50, simon sham wrote:
>>
>>             Hi,
>>             I have recently done two simulations on a protein at high
>>             temperature
>>             near its melting temperature. At the beginning I used
>>             CHARMM forcefield,
>>             and then OPLSAA to double check the results. There are
>>             some differences
>>             in the structures between the forcefield used. I know
>>             different
>>             forcefields can give different results. All parameters in the
>>             simulations were the same except the forcefield. Is there
>>             anyway I can
>>             tell which forcefield gives more reliable results?
>>
>>             Thanks for the insights,
>>
>>             Simon
>>
>>         You might want to check
>>
>>         Oliver Lange, David van der Spoel and Bert de Groot:
>>         Scrutinizing Molecular Mechanics Force Fields on the
>>         Microsecond Timescale With NMR Data Biophys. J. 99 pp. 647-655
>>         (2010)
>>
>>         where we compare a number of FFs to NMR data.
>>
>>         --
>>         David van der Spoel, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
>>         Dept. of Cell & Molec. Biol., Uppsala University.
>>         Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:  +46184714205
>>         <tel:%2B46184714205>.
>>         spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se <mailto:spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>
>>          http://folding.bmc.uu.se
>>
>>         --
>>         Please search the archive at
>>         http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before
>>         posting!
>>         Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
>>         www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>.
>>         Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists
>>

>>     --
>>
>>     ======================================================================
>>
>>     Thomas Evangelidis
>>
>>     PhD student
>>
>>     Biomedical Research Foundation, Academy of Athens
>>
>>     4 Soranou Ephessiou , 115 27 Athens, Greece
>>
>>     email: tevang at bioacademy.gr <mailto:tevang at bioacademy.gr>
>>
>>               tevang3 at gmail.com <mailto:tevang3 at gmail.com>
>>

>>     website: https://sites.google.com/site/thomasevangelidishomepage/
>>

>     --
>     Michael D. Daily, Ph.D.
>     Postdoctoral Fellow
>     Qiang Cui group
>     Department of Chemistry
>     University of Wisconsin-Madison
>

>     --
>     Please search the archive at
>     Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee