[gmx-users] oplsaa vs. charmm

Thomas Evangelidis tevang3 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 12:22:10 CEST 2011

Thank you all for your comments! Let me give you more details about my case:

I want to study the interaction modes of known inhibitors with the monomeric
state of an IDP (~100 aa). IDPs only assume secondary structure when in
complex with their partners, hence there are no crystal structures of the
protein as a monomer. The only experimental data that exist are NMR and CD
data of a close homologue (~78% sequence identity) which show that the
monomer is partially folded in the following simplified pattern:

CHHHHHHHHCCCCCCCChhHHHhhhC

where "h" denotes transient helix, "H" relative rigid helix, and "C" random
coil. The whole IDP is ~100 aa, but we have indications that the inhibitors
bind to the central disordered 40 aa. Therefore I was thinking of running
two simulations, one for the whole ~100 aa using secondary restraints
wherever applicable, and a longer one for the central 40 amino acids. The
problem with the whole-IDP simulation is that the unfolded ~100 aa will
occupy substantially bigger space than the central 40 aa, therefore the
dimensions of the box will be larger and will include much more solvent.
This will make the simulation cumbersome and I won't be able to do enough
sampling for the whole IDP.

In both simulations I am thinking of keeping the desired amino acids from
the crystal structure of the IDP in complex with its partner, carry out REMD
to unfold it, and then add an inhibitor to see where it binds.

You comments about the proposed protocol, force field and water model to
use, will be highly appreciated!

thanks,
Thomas