[gmx-users] Re: oplsaa vs. charmm (Thomas Evangelidis)

Ran Friedman ran.friedman at lnu.se
Thu Jun 9 13:08:18 CEST 2011

Hi,

You may want to look at the papers below, which deal with a similar problem.
Also, I would run multiple simulations for each case.

Ran.

@Article{ScherzerAttali:2010:PLoS-One:20559435,
author = "Scherzer-Attali, R and Pellarin, R and Convertino, M and Frydman-Marom, A and Egoz-Matia, N and Peled, S and Levy-Sakin, M and Shalev, D E and Caflisch, A and Gazit, E and Segal, D",
title = {Complete phenotypic recovery of an Alzheimer's disease model by a quinone-tryptophan hybrid aggregation inhibitor},
abstract = {The rational design of amyloid oligomer inhibitors is yet an unmet drug development need. Previous studies have identified the role of tryptophan in amyloid recognition, association and inhibition. Furthermore, tryptophan was ranked as the residue with highest amyloidogenic propensity. Other studies have demonstrated that quinones, specifically anthraquinones, can serve as aggregation inhibitors probably due to the dipole interaction of the quinonic ring with aromatic recognition sites within the amyloidogenic proteins. Here, using in vitro, in vivo and in silico tools we describe the synthesis and functional characterization of a rationally designed inhibitor of the Alzheimer's disease-associated beta-amyloid. This compound, 1,4-naphthoquinon-2-yl-L-tryptophan (NQTrp), combines the recognition capacities of both quinone and tryptophan moieties and completely inhibited Abeta oligomerization and fibrillization, as well as the cytotoxic effect of Abeta oligomers towards cultured neuronal cell line. Furthermore, when fed to transgenic Alzheimer's disease Drosophila model it prolonged their life span and completely abolished their defective locomotion. Analysis of the brains of these flies showed a significant reduction in oligomeric species of Abeta while immuno-staining of the 3(rd) instar larval brains showed a significant reduction in Abeta accumulation. Computational studies, as well as NMR and CD spectroscopy provide mechanistic insight into the activity of the compound which is most likely mediated by clamping of the aromatic recognition interface in the central segment of Abeta. Our results demonstrate that interfering with the aromatic core of amyloidogenic peptides is a promising approach for inhibiting various pathogenic species associated with amyloidogenic diseases. The compound NQTrp can serve as a lead for developing a new class of disease modifying drugs for Alzheimer's disease.},
journal = "PLoS One",
year = "2010",
volume = "5",
number = "6",
pages = "",
month = "",
pmid = "20559435",
url = "http://www.hubmed.org/display.cgi?uids=20559435",
doi = "10.1371/journal.pone.0011101"
}
@Article{Convertino:2009:Protein-Sci:19309732,
author = "Convertino, M and Pellarin, R and Catto, M and Carotti, A and Caflisch, A",
title = {9,10-Anthraquinone hinders beta-aggregation: how does a small molecule interfere with Abeta-peptide amyloid fibrillation?},
abstract = {Amyloid aggregation is linked to a number of neurodegenerative syndromes, the most prevalent one being Alzheimer's disease. In this pathology, the beta-amyloid peptides (Abeta) aggregate into oligomers, protofibrils, and fibrils and eventually into plaques, which constitute the characteristic hallmark of Alzheimer's disease. Several low-molecular-weight compounds able to impair the Abeta aggregation process have been recently discovered; yet, a detailed description of their interactions with oligomers and fibrils is hitherto missing. Here, molecular dynamics simulations are used to investigate the influence of two relatively similar tricyclic, planar compounds, that is, 9, 10-anthraquinone (AQ) and anthracene (AC), on the early phase of the aggregation of the Abeta heptapeptide segment H(14)QKLVFF(20), the hydrophobic stretch that promotes the Abeta self-assembly. The simulations show that AQ interferes with beta-sheet formation more than AC. In particular, AQ intercalates into the beta-sheet because polar interactions between the compound and the peptide backbone destabilize the interstrand hydrogen bonds, thereby favoring disorder. The thioflavin T-binding assay indicates that AQ, but not AC, sensibly reduces the amount of aggregated Abeta(1-40) peptide. Taken together, the in silico and in vitro results provide evidence that structural perturbations by AQ can remarkably affect ordered oligomerization. Moreover, the simulations shed light at the atomic level on the interactions between AQ and Abeta oligomers, providing useful insights for the design of small-molecule inhibitors of aggregation with therapeutic potential in Alzheimer's disease.},
journal = "Protein Sci",
year = "2009",
volume = "18",
number = "4",