[gmx-users] Calculation of unsaturated deuterium order parameters for POPC

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 14:42:55 CEST 2011

Hi,

Both the trajectories are 100 ns in length (plus I have a repeat of each
simulation using different starting velocities). The results from a
block analysis, and analysis of the repeat simulations, give almost
identical results to those in my previous message. The other thing is
that the remainder of the order parameters also give sensible numbers,
both for the saturated carbons in the rest of the oleoyl chain and in
the palmitoyl chain.

Regarding the mdp settings, then I used the same parameters as given in
the papers from which I quoted the previous values. For CHARMM36, this
includes a 1 fs timestep, the CHARMM TIP3P water (tips3p), constraints =
hbonds and a switching of the vdW interactions between 0.8-1.2 A. For
the GROMOS53A6L simulations then this is with a cut-off for the
electrostatic interactions of 1.4 nm and a reaction-field correction
applied beyond the cut-off, a vdW cut-off of 1.4 nm, rlist of 0.8,
nstlist every 5 steps, a 2 fs time step and the SPC water model. I can
provide full mdp's if necessary. Analysis of other membrane properties
from the simulations (such as area and volume per lipid, area
compressibility, electron density) all give comparable results to those
previously published for these two force fields.

All of this leads me to suspect that there may be a problem in the way
g_order calculates the order parameter for the unsaturated carbons,
however I am by no means certain of this. Currently we are trying to
calculate the order parameters from the all-atom CHARMM36 simulations
using a different bit of code, I will report back with the results if we
can get this to work.

Cheers

Tom

--