[gmx-users] Calculation of unsaturated deuterium order parameters for POPC

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 16:38:13 CEST 2011

Further to my last message we have managed to use a tcl script in VMD to
calculate the order parameters for the POPC chains in the CHARMM36
simulation. I have put the values for this calculation and the values I
obtained using g_order (over the same period in the same trajectory)
below (this is for the sn-2 chain, for the sn-1 chains then the 2
methods produce very similar results). I think this shows that there is
a problem with g_order and the calculation of the order parameter
parameters for the first carbon in the double bond of the unsaturated tail.

	   carbon	g_order		VMD script

            2     	0.0967924       0.095035
            3    	0.208143     	0.207425
            4    	0.203251     	0.203339
            5    	0.214236     	0.213071
            6    	0.192448     	0.191573
            7    	0.18472     	0.182894
            8    	0.101735     	0.108403
            9    	0.134363     	0.061669	***
           10    	0.0444899     	0.049259
           11   		0.0703591     	0.077746
           12     	0.116684     	0.115886
           13     	0.122237     	0.121924
           14     	0.126424     	0.125857
           15    	0.114384     	0.114213
           16    	0.103868     	0.103317
           17    	0.0806387     	0.080544

If nobody can see that I have done anything obviously wrong then I will
file an issue regarding this on redmine.

Cheers

Tom

--
Dr Thomas Piggot