[gmx-users] Lennard Jones interactions

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jun 10 21:22:26 CEST 2011

Nilesh Dhumal wrote:
> Basically I want to calculate LJ interaction for OH bond.
>
> If I use eq. 4.5 in manual to calculate LJ interaction then zero.
>
> How can I calculate LJ interaction of a bond?

This type of measurement doesn't make any sense.  Bonded interactions up to 3
bonds away are excluded for most molecules, since the bond/angle/dihedral
parameters implicitly account for short-range effects.  The interactions of
bonded O and H atoms are accounted for by the shared electrons and the energy of
a bond (if not constrained) is indeed non-zero, but it is not a LJ term that
accounts for this energy.

-Justin