[gmx-users] SA and smd

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jun 11 16:29:51 CEST 2011

vidhya sankar wrote:
> Hai  justin,
>                     Sorry for the inconvenient posting
> I am going to  simultaneously  do both Simulated annealing as well as
> SMD for a folded Protein to explore the stability of proteins at
> different  mutations because my protein contain more than one chain i
> am going to pull as well as do SA Is it possible  in gromacs ?

Possible, yes.  Useful, not likely.  You don't know how the system is going to
respond to either an increase in temperature or the applied force, so mixing the
two is just asking for the simulation to blow up.  I also wonder what use the
data would be, even if the simulation runs to completion.  To what do you
attribute the effects you see - the high temperature, the applied force, or some
fortuitous combination of annealing rate and pull rate and/or force constant
that give you some interesting result?

I would say forget about SMD and perhaps simply look at thermostability.
There's lots of literature on high-temperature MD and it may be useful for
telling you something about how stable your protein is.  Otherwise, search the
literature for other methods, because what you've defined now sounds like a
total crapshoot as to whether or not it will even work.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee