[gmx-users] Can't unfold the protein

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Jun 16 18:23:59 CEST 2011

Dear Hsin-Lin:

The first thing that comes to mind is using very high temperatures with NVT.
Obtaining the desired denatured state is a complex challenge, but you
might try this paper:

Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 238105 (2004)
Reversible Temperature and Pressure Denaturation of a Protein
Fragment: A Replica Exchange Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study

Still, your post seems to be about simply being unable to unfold at
all. I have unfolded a very stable beta-barrel by either simulating at
3000 K or using the pull code to pull the termini apart. This was not
a real study -- I only used this to make a reverse folding movie for
non-scientists -- but I can verify that it is possible to unfold even
very stable proteins by these methods.

Chris.