[gmx-users] Can't unfold the protein

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Jun 16 18:58:35 CEST 2011

Dear Hsin-Lin:

I am no expert in this area. I am just saying that if you get
densities that are way too low in NPT, then you might alleviate this
problem with NVT.

In fact, I would personally do this in vacuum without pbc and use the
sd integrator. Then you can sample extended conformations. I'd
consider this a method to generate unfolded conformations that
probably have no relation to the true temperature denatured state. But
let's be honest, you're never going to come close to Boltzmann
sampling of an unfolded state in 300 ns so why bother with the water?

Your link ( http://manual.gromacs.org/online/protunf.html ) is only
concerned with analysis, so it is irrelevant.

If you are determined to use NPT then I suppose that you could use the
Berendsen barostat (more stable in simulations but you get the wrong
ensemble) with a very low compressibility. That's about all I can say,
perhaps somebody else will comment.

Good luck,

Chris.