[gmx-users] Fwd: Parallellization problem

Nuria Alegret nuria.alegret at urv.cat
Mon Jun 20 17:41:04 CEST 2011

  Good afternoon,

I'm using GROMACS version 4.0.5. My simulation system is a double
stranded DNA (51 nucleotides) in a water (TIPI3P type) box, defined as
0.9 A from the DNA, with 100 Na ions to neutralize the system. The
sequencial commands used were:

1) pdb2gmx -f dsDNA.pdb -p dsDNA.top -o dsDNA.gro -ffamber99

2) editconf -f dsDNA.gro -o box.gro -d 0.9

3) genbox -cp box.gro -cs ffamber_tip3p.gro -o water.gro -p dsDNA.top

4) grompp -f em.mdp -c water.gro -p dsDNA.top -o Premin.tpr

5) genion -s Premin.tpr -o water-ions.gro -np 100

6) grompp -f em.mdp -c water-ions.gro -p dsDNA.top -o minIons.tpr

7) MINIMIZATION:  mdrun -v -s minIons.tpr -o minIons_traj.trr -x
minIons_traj.xtc -c minIons_final.gro -e minIons_ener.edr

The problem appears when I try to minimize the system. When I try to
parallellize the calculation, the calculation returns with an error
message as follows:

/Fatal error:
There is no domain decomposition for 8 nodes that is compatible with the
given box and a minimum cell size of 38.1122 nm
Change the number of nodes or mdrun option -rdd
Look in the log file for details on the domain decomposition/

According to your web page, this error appears when a very small system
is too small to run parallellized. But my system is extremelly big!! In
previous calcs I could parallellize smaller systems, even with just 8
nucleotides.
I attach you the error file and the log file, as well as the mdp.
I would be gratefull with any help. Thanks in advance,

Núria Alegret
University Rovira i Virgili - Tarragona (Spain)