[gmx-users] Fwd: Parallellization problem

Matthew Zwier mczwier at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:52:45 CEST 2011

I've had bad luck with parallel minimizations, particularly for the
4.0 series of GROMACS.  Either domain decomposition fails or numeric
problems appear (SETTLE failures and the like), but disappear when run
serially.  Minimization tends to be low cost compared to equilibration
anyway, so my solution has simply been never to run a minimization in
parallel, even for my large systems.  They're still done in minutes or
hours, compared to the hours or days required for equilibration.