[gmx-users] Re: doubt about your Umbrella Sampling tutorial

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jun 20 23:03:56 CEST 2011

Rebeca García Fandiño wrote:
> Dear Justin,
> my name is Rebeca and I am a postdoctoral student in Santiago de
> Compostela University. Sorry for disturbing you to your personal mail, I
> have tried to post to the Gromacs-list first, but I did not get any answer.

I was traveling and not paying much attention to messages across the list.  I
will CC this reply to the list in the hopes that it is useful to others, as well.

> I am trying to obtain the PMF from Umbrella Sampling of the process of
> separating two monomers of a dimer, following your tutorial, and I have
> a pair of doubts:
>
> 1)In this tutorial the generation of configurations is done using a .mdp
> file for pulling one chain from another, but is it possible to generate
> the configurations for Umbrella Sampling "by hand", I mean, changing the
> z coordinate of the monomer I want to move, then solvating and then
> minimizing these configurations? Is there any problem with this protocol
> for the obtaining of the configurations?

No problem at all.  The tutorial is but one possible method.

> 2) I have noticed that you use restraints in the md_umbrella.mdp for the
> fixed chain. Is that correct? I can understand the restraints in the
> pulling simulations for generate starting configurations, but once you
> have the configurations, is is necessary to restrain one part of the
> system?

Not usually.  The tutorial presents a special case.

> Thanks a lot in advance for your help with this topic, and thank you
> very much also for publishing this interesting tutorial. There was
> nothing useful until that for Umbrella Sampling with Gromacs 4.0, so I
> think it is more than wellcome for all Gromacs users!

Glad they're useful :)

-Justin

> Best wishes,
> Rebeca.
>
> Dr. Rebeca García Fandiño
> Department of Organic Chemistry and Center for Research in Biological
> Chemistry
> and Molecular Materials
> Santiago de Compostela University
> E-15782 Santiago de Compostela (Spain)