[gmx-users] restraints in PMF (Justin's tutorial)

Rebeca García Fandiño regafan at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 22 16:49:13 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am trying to obtain the PMF from Umbrella Sampling of the process of
separating two monomers of a dimer, following Justin 's
tutorial

http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/umbrella/index.html

I have done the Umbrella Sampling simulations without using any restraints in any of the monomers, however, I can see that they move and gyrate so that although the c.o.m are separated from each other, there are parts of both interacting, in such way that they are not separated as they should be.

Would it be correct if I apply restraints to both monomers in all the Umbrella Sampling simulations?. I have seen that in Justin's tutorial they applied restraints to one of the chains, but in my case I think I will need to restrain both of the units. Would that be correct for the PMF calculation?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Rebeca.