[gmx-users] How to set proper temperature and pressure coupling parameters, especially when using solvents other than water?

xiaodong huang xiaodonghuang2060 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 04:38:08 CEST 2011

Dear Justin and gmxers
Thank you so much for your helpful hints, but I am wondering how to check if
I have
obtained "proper distributions for the desired ensemble", as suggested in
your email?
My thoughts are:
1. As for NVT ensemble, I need to check if the velocity (or speed) of
molecules in my simulation
    follows a Maxwell-boltzmann distribution, and the velocity is for the
center of mass of these
    molecules, not for individual atoms, right?
2. Can I also check the distribution of T in my simulation (I output T every
100 steps or so, and
    make a statistics)? It is said in NVT ensemble, T follows a gaussian
distribution, according
   to central limit theorem, and the square of its variance is 2T*T/(3N). Is
that correct?
3. As for NPT ensemble, how to check if I have get a correction distribution
from pressure
    coupling? Can I also check the P or V distribution? If so, what is the
correct distribution I
    should get? I find some clues at "Understanding Modern Molecular
Dynamics
   J. Phys. Chem. B 2000, 104, 159-178", but this paper just discuss some
simple systems
   in T,P coupling section, and I still do not know the correct distribution
I should
   get for my own simulations (e.g. protein in a box of water, NPT).
4.Are there any other quantities I need to check to make sure I have sampled
a correct
   ensemble? I think to check the distribution of v, T, P V should be enough
for this purpose,
   lthough to check more quantities is a plus, right?
Any suggestions or comments are very welcome. Thank you.
yours
xiaodong
Research School of Chemistry
ANU