[gmx-users] How to set proper temperature and pressure coupling parameters, especially when using solvents other than water?

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 23 05:20:43 CEST 2011

On 23/06/2011 12:38 PM, xiaodong huang wrote:
> Dear Justin and gmxers
> Thank you so much for your helpful hints, but I am wondering how to
> check if I have
> obtained "proper distributions for the desired ensemble", as suggested
> in your email?
> My thoughts are:
> 1. As for NVT ensemble, I need to check if the velocity (or speed) of
> molecules in my simulation
>     follows a Maxwell-boltzmann distribution, and the velocity is for
> the center of mass of these
>     molecules, not for individual atoms, right?

Atoms are physical. Molecules are a convenient grouping of them to aid
human understanding.

> 2. Can I also check the distribution of T in my simulation (I output T
> every 100 steps or so, and
>     make a statistics)? It is said in NVT ensemble, T follows a
> gaussian distribution, according
>    to central limit theorem, and the square of its variance is
> 2T*T/(3N). Is that correct?

g_energy will report some descriptive statistics.

> 3. As for NPT ensemble, how to check if I have get a correction
> distribution from pressure
>     coupling? Can I also check the P or V distribution? If so, what is
> the correct distribution I
>     should get? I find some clues at "Understanding Modern Molecular
> Dynamics
>    J. Phys. Chem. B 2000, 104, 159-178", but this paper just discuss
> some simple systems
>    in T,P coupling section, and I still do not know the correct
> distribution I should
>    get for my own simulations (e.g. protein in a box of water, NPT).

You need to use a small system that you can exhaustively sample, deduce
what the statistical distribution of your observables should be, and see
what you get. Or you can simply rely on the use of algorithms that have
been shown to produce correct distributions, and trust/verify that
GROMACS has implemented them correctly.

Mark