[gmx-users] charge group radii- use maxwarn or increase rlist?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 1 00:12:53 CET 2011

Moeed wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thank you for your message. My objective is to calculate interaction
> energies between polymer (polyethylene) and hydrocarbon solvent ( also
> FE calculations). I am using rlist of 1.1 nm.
>
> 1- Do I need to increase rlist ( to 1.4 nm) to overcome the error message?

You need an rlist of sufficient size to provide a neighbor searching buffer.
This is described in the manual and has been discussed on this list within the
last few days.

> 2- As with the electrostatics treatment in my hydrocarbon system ( only
> C and H) I was
> unsure if I need to include electrostatics potentials (although there
> exist partial charges).
> I digged into the literature and found the following articles containing
> nonpolar polymers
> where vdw is the only nonbonded term in the FF. Thats why I switched
> that term off. I appreciate your comments/idea on this.

You can't make ad hoc changes to force fields.  I'd say that all you've done is
create an untested, arbitrarily modified version of OPLS.  You should read the
primary literature for the force field (which hopefully you've already done),
and refer to charge assignment and the reasons for assigning partial charges to
hydrophobic groups.  In real life, there are electrostatic terms as part of the
interactions between all atoms, including induced dipoles in hydrophobic groups.
  Although we can't model these explicitly with non-polarizable force fields,
they still exist.  Fixed-charge force fields attempt to replicate this real-life
behavior (with varied success).

> http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ma9600419

This paper did not use OPLS, so its treatment of electrostatics is irrelevant.

> http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TXW-40TY56F-16&_user=458507&_coverDate=11%2F30%2F2000&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1650178009&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000022002&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=458507&md5=bf0b74cfc76e0dafbadf06396fb63745&searchtype=a
> <http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TXW-40TY56F-16&_user=458507&_coverDate=11%2F30%2F2000&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1650178009&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000022002&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=458507&md5=bf0b74cfc76e0dafbadf06396fb63745&searchtype=a>

This link did not work, so I cannot comment.

The point is that you should never make ad hoc changes to force fields.  People
spend years (if not decades) creating and refining force field models that work,
and though you may find it convenient to ignore certain terms, you probably
shouldn't be.  Any reviewer that critiques a paper that has such changes should
be very, very concerned about improper use of force fields.

-Justin

> [...]
>         CH2 only! . To treat this error I dont know If I need to
>         increase rlist (as suggested in the first link below) or use
>         maxwarn -1 ( second link). How can I diagnose which one to choose?
>
>         http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2011-January/057830.html
>
>         http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2011-January/057980.html
>

>     In the latter case, the problem was a result of groups being split
>     by PBC.  This is not your problem.  Be careful about taking posts
>     out of context.
>
>     It's usually better to increase rlist for proper energy
>     conservation.  You haven't posted your .mdp file (which is usually
>     pretty important for understanding what's going on), but I'll assume
>     you're using some sort of switch or shift function for either van
>     der Waals or Coulombic interactions.  In this case, the manual is
>     pretty clear about proper use, although you appear to not be using
>     any charges at all.  How does that make sense?  What is your
>     objective? Even OPLS hydrophobic moieties should have small partial
>     charges across C-H bonds.
>
>     -Justin
>

>         ==================================================
>         charge groups of solute:
>
>             1   opls_135      1   EthB     C1      1          0
>         12.011   ; qtot 0
>             2   opls_140      1   EthB    H11      1          0
>          1.008   ; qtot 0
>             3   opls_140      1   EthB    H12      1          0
>          1.008   ; qtot 0
>             4   opls_140      1   EthB    H13      1          0
>          1.008   ; qtot 0
>             5   opls_136      1   EthB     C2      2          0
>         12.011   ; qtot 0
>             6   opls_140      1   EthB    H21      2          0
>          1.008   ; qtot 0
>             7   opls_140      1   EthB    H22      2          0
>          1.008   ; qtot 0
>             8   opls_136      1   EthB     C3      3          0
>         12.011   ; qtot 0
>             9   opls_140      1   EthB    H31      3          0
>          1.008   ; qtot 0
>            10   opls_140      1   EthB    H32      3          0
>          1.008   ; qtot 0
>            11   opls_136      1   EthB     C4      4          0
>         12.011   ; qtot 0
>            12   opls_140      1   EthB    H41      4          0
>          1.008   ; qtot 0
>            13   opls_140      1   EthB    H42      4          0
>          1.008   ; qtot 0
>
>         ==================================
>
>         Thanks
>         moeed
>

>     --
>
>     Justin A. Lemkul
>     Ph.D. Candidate
>     ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>     MILES-IGERT Trainee
>     Department of Biochemistry
>     Virginia Tech
>     Blacksburg, VA

>     Please search the archive at

> Moeed Shahamat
> Graduate Student (Materials Modeling Research Group)
> McGill University- Department of Chemical Engineering

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080