[gmx-users] Questions on combination of Berger's united-atom force field for lipid and OPLS_AA force field for protein

Oliver Grant olivercgrant at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 14:21:02 CET 2011

>From my own reading the Berger values are already scaled so to include them
in gromacs by themselves no scaling would be required (like fudge=1.0).
However OPLS 1-4 should be scaled by 0.5. So Chris Neale's method is to use
fudge = 0.5 for OPLS and include the berger values twice. Here is a summary
of what helped me understand the method from Chris Neale's posts:

"As the lipid.itp already has defined a pairtypes so that LJ 1-4 is scaled
correctly (fudgeLJ is not applied to the values in [pairtypes] if there is a
[ pairs ] section ) but the lipid fudgeQQ will be set to 0.5 instead of 1.
If we divide the epsilon entries in the [ pairtypes ] of the lipid by two
now both the LJ and coulombic 1-4 are exactly half of what they should be."

"Then include each entry in [pairs] twice so now LJ and coulombic 1-4 are
both at what they should be."

This is a little confusing as you have to half the LJ value so you can
double it later along with the Q.

Again:
"The pairs section defines both the Lj and the Q so we will have double of
each. We only want double Q, since it is cut to half by the OPLS fudgeQQ
value but not double epsilon(LJ) as it already has a special pairtypes
section which is properly modified for 1-4 interactions."

More info:
defining [pairtypes]
automatically switches off the fudgeLJ option.

Hope this helps,
Oliver