[gmx-users] select in pymol after trjconv

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 7 15:14:21 CET 2011

ZHAO Lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after added ions, I got a solv_ions.gro.
>
> I use trjconv
>
> to produce the solv_ions.pdb
>
> when I view it in pymol.
>
> I showed sequence,
> it like
>
>   1      2   3   4   6
> ODOAOEOROHODOGOOYE
>
> But the solv_ions.pdb looks pretty regular.
>
> my problem is that,
>
> how could I choose the protein parts.
>
> I tried the select protein, resi 1-48
> some waters are inclusive.

Do you have a very large system?  If so, PDB format can only handle a fixed
number of digits in the residue and atom numbering fields, so the numbering of
your waters restarts from zero.  Such is the limitation when dealing with .pdb
files.

If you just need to make selections in PyMOL, strip the water out of the file first.

-Justin

> Thanks for any suggestion.
>
> lina

Justin A. Lemkul