[gmx-users] Re: disulfide bridge broken during EM

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 10 14:39:22 CET 2011

Anna Marabotti wrote:
>  Dear Justin,
> thank you very much. Yes for sure bonds do not "break" during EM (I should
> have better said "disappear"), that's why it looked strange to me. In any
> case, I will do the check: if this bond will fall outside specifications in
> specbond.dat I will conclude that it is only a crystallographic artefact
> (and I will be very happy because in that way I can use only the monomer of
> the protein to do simulations...)

I would not consider the parameters in specbond.dat to be definitive proof of a
non-existent disulfide.  If the distance between the S atoms is considerably
more than 0.2 nm (with 0.205 nm being "average" for a disulfide), then you may
have some justification.  But if the rationale is "Gromacs didn't think there
should be a disulfide, so that's reality," I'd imagine most reviewers would be
extremely skeptical.

-Justin

> Anna

Justin A. Lemkul