[gmx-users] g_wham PMF profile

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Mar 13 14:26:57 CET 2011

battistia at libero.it wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I'd like to get the PMF using g_wham after umbrella sampling. I saw that PMF
> profile dipend very strong from the windows selected in the z (reaction
> coordinate) direction.
> My idea is that the result of this method is much more qualitative than
> quantitative. Are you in agreement with me?

No.  The goal of WHAM is to calculate DeltaG.  The method is quantitative.

> My question is this. In the g_wham calculation,  can I use two windows if I
> have a "great exentended" overlap of z sampling into them?
> Or is it necessary an  overlap between adjacent windows,  but no a so big
> overlap?

The reliability of the PMF curve depends on the reliability of sampling.  If
you're over-sampling in some regions along the reaction coordinate and
under-sampling in others, then the weighting is probably wrong and the result
inaccurate.  I can't tell exactly from your description what's going on, but if
you have largely overlapping histograms, then your window spacing and/or force
constant settings are inappropriate.

-Justin

> Thanks,
>
> Anna