[gmx-users] g_wham PMF profile

Jochen Hub jochen at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Mar 15 23:27:06 CET 2011

> The reliability of the PMF curve depends on the reliability of
> sampling.  If you're over-sampling in some regions along the reaction
> coordinate and under-sampling in others, then the weighting is
> probably wrong and the result inaccurate.  I can't tell exactly from
> your description what's going on, but if you have largely overlapping
> histograms, then your window spacing and/or force constant settings
> are inappropriate.
I don't really agree with the last point (with the first I fully agree).
In my experience it helps a lot if you have multiple overlapping
histograms. If each histograms overlaps only with the two neighbors, you
typically get large uncertainties - even worse, since you usually don't
know the autocorrelation time, you cannot even estimate your
uncertainty. In addition, I don't see any reason why WHAM should have
problems in case of largely overlapping histograms.

My strong suggestion is to use as many histograms as possible, such that
multiple histograms overlap. Make sure (if possible) that each histogram
is independent by starting from independent initial frames (if these are
available). Then you can use the boostrap of complete histograms (using
the so-called Bayesian bootstrap) to compute the uncertainty:

g_wham -nBootstrap 100 *-bs-method *b-hist ...

As David just pointed out, please have a look into our recent paper:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct100494z

Jochen S. Hub, Bert de Groot and David van der Spoel: g_wham - A free
weighted histogram analysis implementation including robust error and
autocorrelation estimates J. Chem. Theory Comput. 6 pp. 3713-3720 (2010)

Cheers,

Jochen

Dr. Jochen Hub
Computational and Systems Biology
Dept. of Cell&  Molecular Biology
Uppsala University. Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden.
Phone: +46-18-4715056 Fax: +46-18-511755
http://xray.bmc.uu.se/~jochen/index.html