[gmx-users] surface tension

Elisabeth katesedate at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 23:57:06 CET 2011

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

1- If I am right I have to increase the length in two directions rather than
one, to create a plane parallel to XY for example?

2- Can you please give me an idea on how many molecules I need to have in
the box and also what should be the thickness of layer? I have now 3nm X 9 X
9 dimensions. That is thickness of 3nm. What I did was replicating a 3nm box
using genconf -nbox 3 3 1. I dont know what is the correct way of creating a
layer for surface tension calculation.

I appreciate any comments about number of molecules, box dimensions for such
a study.

3- my last question is how can I make sure surface tension reported by
g_energy is the equilibrated one. RMSD is very big compared to surf. ten. !

Thanks for your time.
Elisabeth

if you are interested in the surface tension of a pure liquid, which I
assume is
true from your message, then you need to create at least one surface, since
periodic boundary conditions make the model system infinite, i.e., without a
surface whatsoever.

the easiest way to make that happen is to increase the length of the box in
one direction, say the z direction. that way you will end up with a system
that
resemble a (thin) liquid film with vacuum below and above, meaning that you
now have two surfaces. run a regular simulation (NVT) e use g_energy to get
the surface tension.

btw: as any other pressure related property, fluctuations are huge.

best

Andre